Excavator is one of the major construction equipment used in construction field. This heavy duty machine is used for digging holes, foundation, and trenches. The versatile machine is also used in demolition, dragging and lifting materials.
This widely used construction equipment involves in many accidents each year due to the negligence of either operators or owners or some time both, which cause serious injuries to workers working at the site, pedestrian, and operators themselves. If precaution is not taken while operating the excavator it also causes harm to your costly machine which is the heavy loss to the owner.
To prevent these serious mishaps, it is always advisable for both operators and owners of the excavator to be aware of safety requirements and take precaution at the job sites. The precautions will save human capital and also help you to run your business smoothly and avoid any legal issues due to the loss of the workers during the job.
As several risks are associated with excavators during operation, therefore an evaluation of the possible danger must be taken into consideration before the construction begins at the site.
Both operators and owners must consider the following advice while operating excavators:-
- First and foremost, you should only allow the person to operate Excavator who has gone through appropriate training, competent and certified by authority to do so. It ensures that operator is well aware of skills and knowledge and safety while operating the machine. Trained operator also plays a crucial role in higher productivity at the site.
- Inspection of the excavator should take place before the work starts, owner must ensure the regular servicing and maintenance of the machine should take place as per the instruction of the manufacturer.
- The owner of the machine must ensure that his driver is taking all precaution and following safety norms, it helps in preventing any unwanted accident at the construction site. If operator does not follow the norms and handle the machine rough, it may harm your costly machine and also affect the ongoing project.
- There are different types of excavators which meet the specific job of the contractor, so it is suggested that to use right kind excavator after the inspection of the job site.
- Experts suggest that type of soil must be taken into consideration while positioning the machine, it is advisable to place the wheels or tracks in 90-degree.
- The operator should ensure the seat is well-sprung and adjustable for maintaining a comfortable operating position.
- The machine should not be operated without protective equipment.
- Site supervisor or safety officer should minutely supervise the work at the site, ensure the operators are following all the guidelines.
- People should be kept away from vicinity where excavator is being operated, it has been noticed that most of accident occur during this time only.
- Excavator must be equipped with sufficient visibility aids to make sure driver can see the location where people are at risk.
- Ensure all the attachments are properly attached to the machine.
- Signaller who is authorized to direct the excavator movement at the site, should be trained and competent, he usually provides protected position from where operator can work safely.